Did You Know?
Did you know that in an average day, you'll take anywhere from 8,000 to 10,000 steps?
Here are some little known yet very interesting foot facts, courtesy of the American Podiatric Medical Association.
- Three out of four Americans experience serious foot problems in their lifetime.
- The foot contains 26 bones, 33 joints, 107 ligaments and 19 muscles.
- One quarter of all the bones in the human body are in your feet. When these bones are out of alignment, so is the rest of the body.
- Only a small percentage of the population is born with foot problems.
- Women have about four times as many foot problems as men. High heels are partly to blame.
- It's neglect and a lack of awareness of proper care, including poorly fitting shoes, that bring on problems.
- Walking is the best exercise for your feet. It also contributes to your general health by improving circulation, contributing to weight control and promoting all-around well being.
- Your feet mirror your general health. Conditions such as arthritis, diabetes, nerve and circulatory disorders can show their initial symptoms in the feet, so foot ailments can be your first sign of more serious medical problems.
- For about 7 million Americans, arthritis is the number one cause of disability. It limits everyday dressing, climbing stairs, getting in and out of bed, or walking.
- About 60-70% of people with diabetes have mild to severe forms of diabetic nerve damage, which in severe forms can lead to lower limb amputations. Approximately 56,000 people a year lose a foot or leg to diabetes.
- There are 250,000 sweat glands in a pair of feet. Sweat glands in the feet excrete as much as a half-pint of moisture a day.
- Walking barefoot can cause plantar warts. The virus enters through cuts.
- Your two feet may be different sizes. Buy shoes for the larger one.
- About 5% of Americans have toenail problems in a given year.
- The average person takes 8,000 to 10,000 steps a day, which adds up to about 115,000 miles over a lifetime.
- There are currently more websites on the Internet having to do with foot fetishes than with foot health.